Contemporary Photo Competition
Thank you for your interest in the SNAP 2019 Contemporary Photography Competition.
The contest will run from September 28 through our extended deadline of November 30, 2018.
Please check back for further updates. Good luck!
The SNAP 2019 Contemporary Photo Competition will open September 28, 2018.
As SNAP enters its 18th year, we are extremely excited share the amazing updates to the SNAP Photo Competition.
To enter the competition, please visit https://act.akaraisin.com/SNAPPhotoComp19 to pay the entry fee(s). Once payment is confirmed, you will receive an e-mail with further instructions on how to submit your work.
How It Works
- Selected entries will become part of the SNAP 2019 Collection, taking place in Spring 2019. All proceeds of the Photo Competition Auction will support programs and services at the AIDS Committee of Toronto (ACT). Photographic entries will be submitted digitally by email. Photos selected for the Silent Auction will be printed and matted by our print sponsor.
All photographers and photo-based artists are welcome.
EXTENDED Submission Deadline: 11:59 pm EST Friday, November 30th, 2018
PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION AWARDS:
A total of 5 prizes will be awarded as follows:
One top prize, now of $2000 – The Jim P. Shea Award for the Best Overall Submission, supported by Toronto Image Works
Three prizes of $500 each for Awards of Merit
One prize of $500 – Student Award of Merit (to be awarded to an individual enrolled in a post-secondary Photography or Art-based program)
- All entries must be completed online and submitted by 11:59 pm EST Friday, November 30th, 2018.
- A $30 submission fee for the first entry and $10 for each additional entry (click here to pay online!).
- A .jpg file of photograph(s).
- Resolution size: Any dimension with a maximum 1920 by 1080 pixels , jpg files only please.
- File naming: TitleYourInitials, example Red Car by Karl Smith file name is "RedCarKS"
- No characters, symbols, punctuation or spaces.
- No watermarks.
All entrants will be notified the week of December 10, 2018. Those selected to participate in the SNAP 2019 Photo Competition Auction will receive instructions for uploading their print-ready files. Print-ready files must be received by Friday, January 4th, 2019.
- ACT reserves the right to withhold any submissions from exhibition or sale that fail to meet the expectation of quality elicited through the original .jpg submission.
- Artist, Name and Title of Work will appear at auction beside the work to ensure the artists' image(s) are properly credited.
- Each print will be labeled on the back with the artists' name and image title, and "SNAP 2019 Photo Competition Auction Selection".
- Contact information will only be used for the purpose of contacting the contestant with regard to the SNAP event and to advise them of future SNAP events, unless the contestant has otherwise indicated on their submission form.
- One edition will be printed of selected pieces to be sold at the SNAP Auction. In the event that the second place bidder is willing to match the final sale price of the piece, an additional edition will be printed of the piece for a maximum of two SNAP editions to be printed.
- All submissions must comply with the SNAP Photo Competition Rules as outlined. All other submissions may be disqualified. Please read the SNAP 2019 Official Rules.
Thank you and good luck!
Questions? Please contact Matt O'Donnell, Senior Special Events Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SNAP 2019 Official Rules:
ACT welcomes all original work for submission in the SNAP 2019 Contemporary Photo Competition.
- Submission Deadline - NOW EXTENDED to 11:59pm EST Friday November 30, 2018
- Each image, other than photo-based art, must be original photography taken by the contestant. In the case of photo-based art, the work must include at least one photo-based image.
- All submissions are considered anonymously for the Photo Competition category awards and the SNAP Auction selections.
- All funds raised via the Photo Competition and Photo Competition Auction support ACT's programs and services to assist those living with, at risk, or affected by HIV and AIDS.
- All Photo Competition Category winners and silent auction selects will be decided by jury. Winners will be notified the week of December 10, 2018. The selected images will be posted in the SNAP 2019 online Silent Auction gallery shortly afterward.
- Once notified, award winners and auction selects have until 11:59 pm EST Friday, January 4, 2019 to upload a high-resolution print-ready file. Details will be provided by email.
- All award-winning images and auction selections will be clearly credited to the artist and available for purchase through the Silent Auction at SNAP 2019 in Spring 2019.
- Contestants may submit an unlimited amount of entries at a price of $30 for the first entry, and $10 for each additional entry up to 8 entries. More than 8 entries starts again at $30, and $10 for each additional entry. For example:
- 5 entries cost $70
- 8 entries cost $100
- 9 entries cost $130
- 11 entries cost $150
- Photos selected as Photo Competition winners and for the Photo Competition Auction will be printed by the SNAP Silent Auction Printing Sponsor at 24” on their longest side.
- Employees and immediate family members of ACT, the SNAP Sponsorship Committee, sponsors and suppliers are not eligible for the Photo Competition awards, but they may be selected for the Silent Auction.
- Photo Competition award winners and Auction Selections will be chosen by the jury, based on artistic and technical merit. Decisions of the jury will be final.
- Contestants must be the sole owner of the copyright for all images and are responsible for model releases on any image submitted. As such, the contestant holds ACT harmless from any breach of copyright in Canada, the U.S.A. or internationally.
- Award winners and silent auction selects retain full copyright and reproduction rights to their work with the following limitations:
- • All award-winning entries and silent auction selects become the property of ACT to be sold at Silent Auction at SNAP 2019. One edition will be printed of selected pieces to be sold at the SNAP Auction. In the event that the second place bidder is willing to match the final sale price of the piece, an additional edition will be printed of the piece for a maximum of two SNAP editions to be printed.
- • ACT reserves the right to reproduce the image in marketing and promoting SNAP events for a maximum of two years after the 2019 event. When so used, the submission will be marked with the proper © notice and credited to the maker. The maker will be notified first.
- • Buyers of an image at the SNAP Photo Competition Auction obtain the single right to hang and privately display the purchased image(s). No other rights are included or implied. Buyers must sign a copyright acknowledgement prior to receiving the work.
- Participation in the SNAP 2019 Photo Competition indicates your complete acceptance of these competition rules.
- Be advised that exclusive copyright for images not selected will not be infringed upon.